Saturday, August 1, 2009

Debbie & more language use!

A conversation with Jason on 7/21, who works in the deli dept at Earth Fare.
Me: Is the mac & cheese any good? The Gouda mac & cheese?
Jason: Yes....it's gouda!

I was having a phone conversation while driving back to Johnson City on 7/26, with my 84 year old Grandmother (Mina) and here are few examples of our interesting conversation!

Mina said, "You know Debbie I'm only about 5 minutes older than you."
When I look at the time line of human existence, my life represents a tiny blip. So for Mina to say she is only five minutes older than me even though she is 42 years older, really hammers that reality home for me. It is her way of saying, "I'm a little wiser than you."

Mina said, "He's in never never land."
She was talking about her nephew and his relationship with reality (and his Mom). Her nice way of saying, "He's living in denial of the truth."

7/26 on 88.1 (Prairie Home Companion)
I heard this great song by Kristin Andreassen. You can actually hear it
http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/.
It is interesting how she includes patty cake clapping and a combination of speaking and singing. I only included part of the song but if you want all the lyrics you can google her and you will find them.

Crayola Doesn't Make a Color For Your Eyes
by Kristin Andreassen

I went to see the doctor
I had come down with the blues
She said that I can’t cure you
but here's something you can do,
take out a piece of paper and go sit down for a while
and a draw a pretty picture of something that makes you smile
I know what makes me happy i didn’t have to think for long
but when i tried to draw it, it always came out wrong
i had a box of 12, 48 and 64
but no where could i find that one shade i was looking for
I guess i had realized it should have come as no surprise,

crayola doesn’t make a color for your eyes
There is no way that i could possibly describe you
crayola doesn’t make a color to draw my love

At first i thought of green-blue but than i saw blue-green
and than again in bright light than it got aquamarine
i think at night their darker i looked again for you
saw grey and black and when I’m walking at the midnight blue
but hues are the deepest skies would be a compromise
crayola doesn’t make a color for your eyes

There is no way that i could possibly describe you
crayola doesn’t make a color to draw my love

No comments: