Saturday, July 18, 2009

Katie Nuttall Neologisms #1-10

It is amazing how many words I heard this week just by keeping my ears alert. Here are my top ten.

1. Bubbletweet: to send someone a video message on twitter. I was reading my twitter on Tuesday when someone said, “I want you guys to bubbletweet me! Someone did it today and it was sweet.” And I have to agree a bubble tweet is very “sweet.” It was a very funny quick video to watch.

2. Webisode: A TV show that can be watched on a website. (I do this a lot! Especially when all I have is a computer and no TV at ETSU.)

3. Staycation: A vacation that you have at home instead of traveling somewhere else. This is more popular with the economy the way it is.

4. Farkle: A dice game that can be played on facebook.

5. Skissors: Scissors that have different edges to cut. This word was invented by my best friend and she loves it so much that she has even generalized it to mean all types of scissors, even replacing the word “scissors” in her speech.

6. Zip-line: a cable suspended above an incline to which a pulley and harness are attached for a rider.

7. Craughed: To laugh and cry at the same time. “I laughed, then I cried, then I craughed" as heard in commentary off of a TV show.

8. Kinda: Shortened version of “kind of," meaning just a little bit. Example: I kinda have a headache.

9. Metrosexual: applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, and/or a lifestyle that displays attributes stereotypically related to gay men. I have often heard Ryan Seacrest affiliated with this term.

10. Carpocalypse: The financial devastation being wreaked upon the global automotive industry. "I don't think General Motors will survive the carpocalypse."

No comments: